What is Perthera?
Perthera is a company that provides you the full (and growing) menu of precision medicine technology and services. For example, we walk you through and undertake the process of molecular testing. We select the most advanced testing technology and use up-to-date research, in addition to employing our own medical research and team of experts (oncologists, computational biologists, and medical review panel) to thoroughly understand your unique cancer, and provide you and your cancer care team with the best treatment options. We compile a comprehensive report, incorporating all test results and expert review of your clinical history, which enables you and your oncologist to make the best treatment decisions for you. Rather than the provider of a single service provide testing services or act as a match-maker for clinical trials, Perthera seeks to be the precision medicine member of your team.
How do you know that what Perthera does works?
The benefits of molecular testing have been shown in many research studies. In fact, new cancer therapies are often approved only for patients with specific molecular testing results. Examples in lung cancer include Tarceva (erlotinib) for EGFR positive cancers and Keytruda (pembrolizumab) for cancers with high PDL-1. Perthera does not support a specific type of test or company. Instead, we compile data from multiple tests to make the best recommendation possible. The science behind Perthera’s process is very clear: combining information from genomic, proteomic, and other testing approaches being developed identify the best potential treatment options for each patient’s cancer.
What does Perthera do?
Perthera’s goal is to become a true member of your cancer care team by providing a seamless service from biopsy to the final report. This gives the patient and oncologist the results of testing and a list of individualized treatment options, including clinical trials, based on those results. More specifically, they will:
- Give the medical professionals detailed instructions so the biopsy and tissue preparation are done in the way we need.
- Make sure a quality tissue sample is collected and prepared for testing.
- Store, at no cost to you and if you give permission, a portion of your biopsy tissue for use in follow-up testing or to support future research.
- Select the best available tests and testing labs for processing your tissue.
- Make sure the tissue gets to the labs in a timely manner.
- Take all your test results and combine them into a full molecular profile, which is processed and reviewed by a panel of expert oncologists to produce a detailed report for you and your healthcare team.
- Identify treatment options, including clinical trials that may be appropriate for you and your doctor to consider.
- Work with your insurance to cover a treatment that is not currently approved if your doctor feels it is your best option.
- Follow your progress after testing and treatment and consider you to be part of the Perthera community.